Magu’s lawyer raises 9 posers for Salami panel
A lawyer, Wahab Shittu, has raised 9 contemporary posers for Justice Isa Ayo Salami Judicial Fee of Enquiry probing the Financial and Monetary Crimes Fee (EFCC), forward of concluding its project.
Shittu, who’s the lawyer to the fee’s suspended chairman, Mr. Ibrahim Magu, faulted the panel for at all times inviting witnesses, about six weeks after he had closed his defence.
He additionally requested the Presidency to disregard any suggestion for the elimination of police from the EFCC.
His observations had been contained in an announcement on Wednesday in Abuja towards the backdrop of the probably winding up of the panel’s investigation this week.
Shittu mentioned: “We additionally perceive from experiences reaching us that the panel has continued to ask witnesses, about six weeks after our shopper had closed his defence. The invitation of witnesses (who’ve circumstances to reply and people who are being prosecuted by the EFCC) to testify behind my shopper and the verification of belongings in his absence are obviously unlawful and offend the precept of truthful listening to.
“We’re additionally elevating severe objection to the panel’s need to ask questions from the EFCC officers on the pretext that the EFCC underneath the watch of our shopper is usurping the features of the Nigeria Monetary Intelligence Unit (NFIU).
“Forward of the submission of the panel’s report back to the President and towards the background of deliberate leakage of a few of its suggestions to the press in a decided effort to nail our shopper in any respect value, we elevate the next issues:
- First, why will the panel sit in personal when the instrument signed by the President specified public sitting?
- Why will the panel take proof from witnesses with out oaths when the instrument specified that every one witnesses have to be sworn on oath?
- Why will the panel undertake verification of recovered belongings nationwide within the absence of Magu, the primary topic of enquiry?
- Why will the panel refuse to provide copies of allegations to Magu, despite repeated calls for by counsel?
- Why would Magu be excluded from among the proceedings of the panel? Why was Magu detained for 11 days when he had not been indicted?
- Who ordered the detention of Magu when Salami mentioned he was not accountable for Magu’s detention?
- Why was he (Justice Salami) sitting there when it was apparent he had no management over the proceedings?
- Why will a panel that began first as investigative committee all of a sudden graduate right into a panel and later a judicial fee of enquiry with none instrument to again up the change in nomenclature?
- Why will Magu be pressured to reply nameless petitions, copies of which weren’t served on Magu by the panel?
- Why will the panel, an inferior tribunal, entertain circumstances pending earlier than the Federal Excessive Courtroom, the Courtroom of Attraction and the Supreme Courtroom, when it lacked powers to take a seat as an Appellate Courtroom?
“These are among the illegalities of the panel which might be incurable. We had additionally raised constantly different issues in regards to the operations of the panel.”
Win your Courtroom circumstances at present, Get Inexpensive Supreme Courtroom Legislation Studies >> CLICK HERE
BESTSELLER: Get A-Z of latest legal guidelines of ELECTRONIC EVIDENCE in Nigeria By Alaba Omolaye-Ajileye. To ORDER, sms or name : +2347063666998, +2348159307051 or e mail firstname.lastname@example.org
The Studies include beneficial and unusual locus classicus for Authorized analysis, opinion, and advocacy. Seize your copy now!!! Name 07044444777 or 08181999888.
Go to our web site: www.alexandernigeria.com/