“A Jurist that shook the conscience of the Nigerian Justice System” – Akpata lauds FCT CJ’s Achievement [FULL SPEECH]
The Nigerian Bar Affiliation President, Mr. Olumide Akpata has praised the retiring Chief Decide of the federal capital territory Abuja, Hon Justice Ishaq Usman Bello for his ingenuity to the reforms within the Nigerian Justice System.
Akpata made this recognized in a Speech delivered immediately on the Valedictory Court docket Session in honour of Justice Bello.
The NBA President whereas itemizing the achievements of the retiring Jurist, counseled his position in setting free practically 4 thousand (4,000) wrongfully detained residents. very spectacular adoption of know-how in dishing out justice
Learn the complete Speech Under
SPEECH DELIVERED BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE NIGERIAN BAR ASSOCIATION, MR. OLUMIDE AKPATA AT THE VALEDICTORY COURT SESSION IN HONOUR OF HONOURABLE JUSTICE ISHAQ USMAN BELLO, THE RETIRING CHIEF JUDGE OF THE HIGH COURT OF THE FEDERAL CAPITAL TERRITORY, ABUJA.
DATE AND VENUE: 5 JANUARY 2021; THE CEREMONIAL COURT HALL OF THE HIGH COURT OF THE FEDERAL CAPITAL TERRITORY, ABUJA.
Distinguished Company, Women and Gents.
- I’m grateful to Your Lordship, the Honourable Justice Salisu Garba, Chairman of the Organizing Committee of this Particular Session, and the members of the Committee for inviting me. Once I obtained the invitation to handle the Court docket at this Particular Session, I instantly scanned by the letter to see the period of time allotted to me for the aim for which I used to be invited. Once I noticed I had been assigned ten (10) minutes, I grew to become anxious. Anxious, as a result of I’ve adopted the progress of My Lord, Honourable Justice Ishaq Usman Bello, his stellar profession by the years, his very intimidating Curricular Vitae (CV) and I reckoned that the allotted time is not going to enable me to specific my ideas adequately. I have to due to this fact apologize prematurely, if I’m going past the allotted time, it’s not my fault, it’s My Lord’s fault. Could also be if My Lord had achieved far lower than he has, it might have been doable to accommodate all his achievements in ten (10) minutes or much less.
- Lots goes to be stated about My Lord immediately. I’ll due to this fact try to not repeat/pre-empt what others may say or have stated. Let me limit myself to these issues which have enamored me to My Lord.
- What a Jurist! A Jurist that shook the conscience of the Nigerian Justice System and let loose practically 4 thousand (4,000) wrongfully detained residents. A Jurist whose foresight and probably hindsight, launched the CIMS, an data administration system, to assist officers within the administration of justice see into the system of the Nation’s correctional facilities to detect and handle issues. My Lord’s willpower to concentrate on the jail reforms heralded the much-needed de-congestion of the Facilities.
- It was solely due to this fact becoming for My Lord to be appointed by the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria because the Chairman of the De-Congestion Reforms of the Correctional Service Facilities. Clearly, My Lord’s humanity has proven, even within the change in nomenclature from the Jail Service to the Correctional Middle, consistent with the aim of incarceration – which is reformation.
- In unwittingly making ready himself for this nationwide project, My Lord had spent a lot of his early days in service visiting prisons and police stations, for a clearer and higher understanding of the areas of change and reform, every time the chance to introduce such reforms introduced itself. I bear in mind listening to My Lord converse of all the time doing two issues when appointed to a brand new judicial division; visiting the jail amenities, and the police stations, to make sure My Lord is educated on the place these sentenced might be despatched to solely when completely obligatory.
- On June 30, 2020, I recall listening to an interview My Lord granted to the Come up TV, and I used to be drawn in by the depth of understanding of the legal justice system which My Lord confirmed. Specifically, My Lord’s distilled mistaken incarceration practices which noticed inmates who had accomplished their phrases nonetheless being held for not defraying prosecutorial bills, as ordered by the Court docket, when there isn’t a legislation mandating a convicted individual to pay prosecutorial bills. In the identical interview, My Lord additionally confirmed how the press was culpable in reportage of judicial proceedings, and even proffered that judicial correspondents be made to take sure elementary programs to make sure correct reportage.I wish to use this chance to reiterate this level that judicial correspondents should be accredited match to the right reportage of judicial proceedings and by so doing, be made to endure primary qualifying programs to undertake this train. The Nigerian Bar Affiliation can superintend over this.
- I have to not fail to acknowledge the very spectacular adoption of know-how in dishing out justice underneath the watch of My Lord. Specifically, on the usage of Info Communications Know-how (ICT), and having Courts which might be compliant.I say this as a result of, immediately, we now have some choices of the Excessive Court docket of the FCT on the Court docket’s web site. Having a system the place the choices of the Court docket may be simply accessed on-line, shouldn’t be a mere feat, given the truth that most Courts, together with the Appellate Courts shouldn’t have such a system in place.
- My Lords, distinguished friends, Women and Gents, I’ve all the time thought that turning into a Decide is without doubt one of the highest positions that anybody can attain in life, as a result of monumental duty conferred by that place. While retiring as a Decide should be thought of an amazing achievement, retiring because the Chief Decide of the FCT Excessive Court docket isn’t any imply feat.
- In concluding this deal with, I have to say with all sense of duty that My Lord’s achievements throughout the interval of service, whether or not as Appearing and Substantive Chief Decide of the Excessive Court docket of the FCT, are most enviable. I’m nearly questioning if there could be something left for My Lord’s successor to do in workplace, contemplating that My Lord has enormously lined the sphere. However figuring out the depth of the Bench within the Excessive Court docket of the FCT, I’m sure that My Lord’s successor is not going to solely enhance on My Lord’s accomplishments, but in addition surpass them.
- I’ll once more confer with My Lord’s CV and can say, the youthful technology, and I dare say contemporaries, can draw inspiration from. I thanks, My Lord, for the times of service that you’ve given to the Judiciary. I can solely want My Lord one of the best within the coming days. In fact, this could solely be the start of a extra glorious profession even in retirement. Figuring out My Lord to be who he’s, I doubt My Lord has plans to go to relaxation at this level, so I might be looking for these exploits My Lord might be performing hereafter.
- On a extra private notice, I commend My Lord for equally making a fantastic steadiness between the very tedious job of a Judicial Officer and a supervisor of his well being. It’s not unusual to have Judges/ Justices undergo dangerous form of well being both in service or at retirement. I exploit this chance to admonish our revered Judges/Justices to pay utmost consideration to issues of their well being. This is essential.
- On behalf of the Nigerian Bar Affiliation, I wish to congratulate My Lord, Hon Justice Ishaq Bello, the retiring Chief Decide, Excessive Court docket of the FCT, for a meritorious service to the Nigerian authorized system. I can solely want you one of the best in retirement.
- Could my Noble Lords be happy. I thanks all for listening.
Olumide Akpata Esq.
Nigerian Bar Affiliation
January 5, 2021
CLICK HERE TO BUY NIGERIAN CURRENT BEST-SELLER ON LAW AND PRACTICE OF COURT MARTIAL IN NIGERIA
Win your Court docket instances immediately, Get Inexpensive Supreme Court docket Regulation Reviews >> CLICK HERE
BESTSELLER: Get A-Z of latest legal guidelines of ELECTRONIC EVIDENCE in Nigeria By Alaba Omolaye-Ajileye. To ORDER, sms or name : +2347063666998, +2348159307051 or e mail email@example.com
The Reviews include invaluable and unusual locus classicus for Authorized analysis, opinion, and advocacy. Seize your copy now!!! Name 07044444777 or 08181999888.
Go to our web site: www.alexandernigeria.com/